Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Grandma Briskey

Margaret Gourley Briskey
July 18, 1912 - July 2, 2009




My amazing Grandmother passed away last week. We were fortunate enough to be able to go and see her a couple of weeks ago. I will always be grateful for that (and a cousin who said, if you are going to come, come sooner than later). My grandma was able to say good bye to almost everyone, and make sure we all knew we were loved by her.

Grandma lived a great life and will always be one of the greatest examples I have in my life. She was hardworking and super caring. She made sure everyone was taken care of, and she was not very happy in the last few years that we could not come to her house and stay-- so she could take care of us. She loved her family more than anything and worried about us constantly. Were we safe, were we doing what was right, were we happy. When we would visit, she would always have fresh made cookies waiting in the cookie jar for us. As kids, we would always race each other to see what kind she had made for us.

Grandma was also very stubborn. She never wanted to miss anything, and we think that is why she lived so long-- she wanted to be part of it all. She had a great sense of humor-- especially when playing tricks on my dad. They had a long standing competition about who could pull the best prank on the other. Good memories.

She was also very curious. She could never wait for presents at Christmas, and if they were under the tree, she would sneak and carefully pull the tape off the wrapping paper, and then re-wrap the gift after she knew what it was. (is she sounding a lot like Sarah-- Margaret is her middle name).

Grandma had an amazing smile. I loved that smile. Even in her last weeks, when we visited (and she felt pretty miserable), she had a great, big, happy smile. You couldn't help but being cheered up when you saw it. She never complained-- well hardly ever (the last time I saw her she did say she felt pretty miserable and sick). One time in church, the teacher asked if anyone had ever had hard feeling with anyone in their family. Everyone raised their hand, except my grandma. She really did not have hard feelings, she was very quick to forgive. She accepted everyone as they were, and made us feel good about who we were and who we could become. I think she kept every gift I ever gave her, and if I made it, it always had a prominent place in the house, so she could tell everyone about it. She was that way with everyone. She wanted them to feel loved, and around Grandma, people always did feel loved.

I am grateful that she is able to be at peace now, and reunited with my Grandpa, and all her siblings, and parents. I will always remember her, and be grateful that I knew her.

Thanks Grandma, for being so great, and for loving all of us. We love you!


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rachey-Foo said...

Deb,
I am sorry to hear of your loss. But I know your faith is a comfort at such times. What a blessing that you were able to see her and say goodbye! :)

Let me know if you need anything. I love ya.

Katrina said...

that was nice I made me cry in a good way