So, in case any of you are wondering about how the little man's allergies are doing, we have some news. He is still severely allergic to everything he was before, and we don't get to change anything-- but, there is a but, his levels are going down. We were shocked, our doctor was shocked (yes the same one who gave us little hope of ever ordering the normal way at a restaurant ever again-- you know, straight from the menu), but they are headed in the right direction. So, we go from having almost no chance of outgrowing them, to maybe a little chance. We will hold on to whatever hope we can get.
Although, this really doesn't change life for us at all right now, it is nice to see the levels coming down. There is even a possibility of doing an egg food challenge next year. That means I would actually have to buy eggs for Timmy, and bake them into a cake. Eggs that are baked into something, like a cake, have less chance of a reaction because the protein changes a little. Right now, we can't even risk cross contamination with eggs, baked or not-- so it is a little scary to think about making him something that has eggs in it. I guess I don't really need to think about it too much. But, I do get to hope, and that is so nice.
The nuts and milk have also come down a bit, so that is good-- but no food challenge talk on those, they are still way way way too high. But, down is not too bad.
6 comments:
What wonderful news! Anything to give you a glimmer of hope is wonderful news. I'd be scared to do a challenge,too. Do they do it in a controlled environment or are you on your own?
We have to take the cake up to their office and they watch for reactions. So, it is as safe as it can get, I guess. From what I hear they give one bite, and then watch for a few minutes, then two bites, and so on. I don't know if Timmy will just go for one bite though :-).
That is so exciting! It is so nice to be able to hope!
hooray! maybe someday!! Right now you are doing so good at protecting him. I know it takes a lot of effort, but you do a great job. Grandma Hong
it's great to have hope
Yeah Timmy!
Post a Comment