We had our allergy appointment on Thursday. I have been avoiding posting because if I do that it makes it more real. If I don't post, them somehow all this will disappear and we won't have to deal with it anymore. But, I guess we all have our burdens, and this is a manageable one. Timmy has just been so happy, and he hasn't had any major problems ( a little rash or hives here and there) so I just was hoping that things would be better. We just have been working so hard to control it, I just wanted the best outcome for my little guy. Fortunately, this will just be his way of life that he learns at a very early age. He won't know what everything tastes like, so he won't miss it-- Please tell me that he won't miss it and when he is mad at his mom in 15 years he won't rebel and have the ice cream and pizza, or the snickers bar, or the gazillion other things that everyone else has on a daily basis without a problem. Mostly, I just don't want him to feel left out-- but I guess we all do at times. It will all be okay.
Anyway, the results: Milk actually went down a few points, but it is still "off the charts" as the doctor put it, so nothing with milk baked or otherwise for Timmy. She said that it probably peaked and has started to come down. We don't know if it will continue to come down or not. She still didn't give us much hope that he will ever lead a normal food life. Mostly because egg is way off the charts too. Peanut went up about 40 points, and he is officially extremely allergic to pistachios, cashews, and almonds-- but those yummy walnuts are safe (yuck!).
There is a bit of good news. He was to avoid soy and wheat so that he would not become allergic to those, and they are now safe foods for him to eat. YEAH!!!! That is actually a huge relief for me, it will be a little easier to find food for him, especially snacks. He really likes the soy milk that we bought for him too. He is also not allergic to peas, peaches (he got hives after eating some from the cannery), chicken, or beef!
The doctor reassured us again that as long as he has his epipen with him, he will be okay. It is more dangerous to drive to the appointment. If he doesn't have his epipen, just don't eat. He may get a skin reaction for touching, but he won't go all anaphylactic unless he eats it. So, I guess that is good. I guess :-).
5 comments:
Yeah for walnuts, wheat, and soy milk! I can't imagine how you do it. Fixing meals is hard enough without the worry of allergies. I'll keep my eye out for yummy nut (other than walnut), milk, and egg free recipes.
You are doing an amazing job Debbie - until we visited you I didn't realize what a consuming job it was to check all the labels and be so cautious of the foods. But you seem to handle it in stride. I'll let you know if I find some good recipes. You are incredible! Carrie
Hey Debbie,
I keep reading your post everyday trying to think of something to say but I just don't know what to tell you. But just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you guys.
Kristy, you made me laugh! I don't know about Yeah for walnuts, but we do cheer for the wheat and soy. Those two are the only things worse than milk-- it makes life easier that Timmy doesn't have to avoid those anymore.
Carrie, recipes are always welcome. I am getting bored with what I have :-).
Mindy, thanks for your concern, and to everyone out there who is worried about us, we appreciate it. Some days are hard, but life is still good, and even though my heart breaks for Timmy sometimes that he will never have really good ice cream-- I don't think he will really want it because it will make him feel awful. I keep saying that I would rather have this challenge than some of the others that people face. It is just part of our life now, and it is okay. At least Timmy is a happy little boy and he has lots of people who adore him. That is the best!
hi Deb!
your lesson was great last night. and i hope you know that we are always there for you. like you said, sometimes we just don't see the help HF is offering thru others. we can be so stubborn, huh? lol i totally agreed with all of your ideas for helping us take care of "me". you are so awesome.
Post a Comment