Tim had no idea that Amanda liked him, and after taking my picture for the ward directory there was some sort of discussion with a friend about who was going to ask me out first and Tim devised a plan. You see, he was the Elders' quorum president (hence the passing out of the fat boys) and I was a counselor in Relief Society for our ward. He asked me one day after my RS meeting to come and talk about the "needs of the sisters in the ward" so that they could help if they needed to. So, I brought my notebook opened it up, and started telling him how he could help the Relief Society. Apparently he just was concerned about one sister in the ward-- and I was totally clueless, remember I had sworn off men and dating. Somehow Tim knew that I had a weakness for yummy, fudgey brownies, and every Sunday after ward prayer he would invite me over for brownies.
Our first date was to his roommates sisters house to play games after the Priesthood session of General Conference. We made cookies (the kind out of the refrigerated section in the store) and just talked. Our next date was to go to the mall and pick out a suit, and I remember we walked into ZCMI II and he grabbed my hand. I was a little surprised- but it was nice. Anyway, the rest is history. We were pretty much inseparable after that. He broke little Amanda's heart, and apparently everyone in the ward thought I was dating someone else in the ward, so I guess I broke his heart too. (It is good to have at least one broken heart in life though :-), I think they are all okay now).
We got engaged in December. He was very nervous and cute. He kept telling me, "Don't think I am going to propose tonight, because I don't even have your ring, they haven't finished it yet, so don't think I am going to propose" That was my first clue. Then I had to go to traffic school for a ticket and he said, "Don't go home first, come straight to my apartment." Clue number 2. So, I went to his apartment, fully knowing that I was going to be engaged by the end of the night. Then my roommate called and asked Tim when we were coming and that she had lit candles so we had better hurry because the apartment was going to burn down. I asked Tim who it was, and he is not a very good liar, and so he told me it was Rachelle, and she wanted us to come to the apartment. Clue number 3. So, he went upstairs to get the ring, and then we walked into my apartment. Candles were lit (thanks Rachelle) and there was a beautiful Christmas tree in the corner with 3 dozen red roses and little Teddy Bears, with a big Panda bear on top (to represent my Chinese teddy bear-- Tim). He was very nervous, but somehow he proposed and I said yes. Funny stories were told by each of our roomies, and my mom and sister about how nervous he was. He just wanted it to be perfect and it was.
We were married on March 17th, 1995. That is not only the day we were married, but also the day that I promised to let him go to the fair for one week in September for the rest of our lives. I didn't know what I was getting into :-).
Tim is perfect for me and really the best part of my life. People always say "better Half"-- I think Tim is my better 3/4. I have learned so much from him about how to be a better person, and how to always believe the best about people. He is always sacrificing so everyone around him, especially me, can be happy. He is the best dad, and my girls adore him. Timmy really likes him too, but right now I supply his main source of nutrition, so he really doesn't get to choose who he loves more :-). I remember when I was putting together in my head the ideal husband, and one thing that I knew I had to have was someone who would read stories to my children. Not only does he read stories, but he makes up the best stories, he always has us laughing at his stories. I also had to have a husband that fit the description in D & C 121: 40-46, that was my theme scripture :-) -- and I had not found anyone that fit that description (why I had sworn off dating), but it fit Tim and still does. He really is amazing and I am grateful that I get to be his wife. I definitely got the better end of the deal.
So after 13 years, I still adore him, and I still want to be with him forever. That's pretty good huh. We still like to hang out with each other more than with anyone else, and we still make each other happy.
Happy Anniversary Tim! I love you!
This was going to be Tim's present. I thought it would be fun to play Guitar Hero together.
But, he has been hinting, actually right out saying that this is what he really wants. So, this is what he gets.
3 comments:
Happy Anniversary! I remember your engagement well...so well that I remember I put on a Kenny G CD for you and Tim (I don't think Tim liked that very much as it wasn't part of his well-formed plan...which was great...however, I thought the music was a great addition!). Congratulations!
We are going on our 12th anniversary on March 23rd. I forgot that we are so close to each other's anniversaries. This year, you get St. Patrick's Day and I get Easter Sunday!
I am so happy to get your "late" Christmas card because I had lost the address to your blog! Now I can visit more often!
Take care and thanks for the card. Your family is so cute! Talk to you soon!
Rachelle
your great and so is your family
Love Ya
Katrina
Happy Anniversary. I loved reading your dating story. I'm glad you guys are still so in love.
Post a Comment